Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Toothpaste?!

I HATE MOSQUITOS- hate, hate hate.

With that being said, they love me! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have SUPER sensitive skin. When I say sensitive, I mean everything irritates me.  Most of the products in my home you will see labeled with the lovely phrase "Hypoallergenic".  When I scratch my arm, or any part of my body, I will have a huge red whelp for about an hour.. just from scratching an itch!  So you can only imagine what happens when I get bit by a lovely mosquito. It whelps up horrible and stays for days being a huge PAIN!  Since I live out in good ole NC, we have lots and lots of these little suckers.  Last week I walked from our front door to the car (maybe 10 seconds max) and had 2 on my leg when I got in the car.. what?!?

 I have recently found a bug spray that I really like- Cutter's Natural, Deet free.  Let me tell you guys, even if you aren't as sensitive is me, I highly recommend using a Deet free product.  Last year I was out where I had to use whatever bug spray someone had (which had Deet) and when I looked down after applying, it was eating off my fingernail polish.  Literally it was turning into a gooey mush. Now I don't know about you, but that is not something I want soaking into my skin! Not only is this product safer for your skin (I'm sure it still has some harmful ingredients, but it's not the worst!), it also has a very tolerable smell!

 Even with my lovely new product, I still got eaten up pretty good Saturday night on my ankles and feet.  I am not sure if they got me before I applied the spray, or I just didn't reapply when I should have.  Apparently my left foot is not as sweet, because I was "lucky" enough to just get 2 bites on this side. My right side was a different story- my whole ankle and foot is eaten up with about 10.  The pain/itching hits me the most at night, from what I assume is the heat making it worse.  I will wake up literally clawing my skin off. (horrible, I know).  With all this being said, I wanted to share my lovely little "secret" (that you may already know) I found on the internet.  I have tried itch creams, calamine lotion, almost everything to try and help the itch and pain be bearable. What have I found that works the best?? Good ole toothpaste!! I'm not sure if a certain kind works better, but I think the "paste" would probably work best since it will dry crusty unlike the gel.  I coat down my bites with my handy Crest before bed, let it dry, and like magic it makes a world of difference!! It doesn't work 100%, but better than anything else I have tried.  So if you are like me and a bug's best friend- invest in a big tube of toothpaste for those pesky bites!

No comments:

Post a Comment