Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Restoring Candle Containers

As most of you may know if you read my blog, I love Bath & Body Works home products.  I am a huge fan of their candles for many reasons.  They have amazing smells that not only smell in the container, but actually carry out the smell when burning.  There is nothing I hate more than giving a different brand a chance since the wax smells amazing, to then go and burn it and it have NO smell.  B&BW and Yankee Candle are about the only candles I have found to actually like.  Please do share if you have any other brands.  Another reason I love my B&BW candles is you can get them for SO much cheaper than the $20 (on large) sticker price.  Please, never ever buy anything at this store full price! The large candles have 2 for $20 sales every few weeks, plus $10 off $30 purchase is around a lot, or 20% off your order.  They ALWAYS have some kind of sale plus coupons to help with stocking up. Oh, and then the lovely Semi-Annual sale.. ahhh the best time of the year! :)  Anywayssss let me get back on track here.. 

 I have seen a few posts online where people have saved the leftover "jars" and reused them.  I can't tell you how many I have thrown away and wasted, so I decided it was time to look into this process and see how hard it was.  Of course I found a lovely post on Pinterest that explained the ever so easy process.  Below is a picture of a candle close to being finished.  I forgot to take a before picture of the one I actually did, but it was about half the wax of this one.  Once it gets to a certain point the wicks just can't stay lit and the candle is done.




Here is the step by step process once your candle is sadly out of service:
1. Place the candle in the freezer for 1-3 hours. (I did 3 just to be safe).  This process freezes the remaining wax and actually shrinks it some and starts it to crack.  I used a butter knife to pop it out. Mine came out in about 3 pieces.
2. Now you want to clean out all the residue that you see all around the inside of the jar.  This step you will just need Baby Oil and a paper towel. It literally just wipes away all the leftover wax and soot from the inside with a few wipes.
3. I ran the jar under very hot water to peel off the stickers from the side and bottom.  I find it easiest to peel them off while under the water. Keep holding it under the hot water to scrub off the remaining sticky residue left over.  After all the stickers are off, I also gave the whole jar a good washing.
4. Within 10 minutes of taking it out of the freezer you have a nice, clean jar! 



(I can't figure out how to flip this picture, sorry!)



Now, I am not sure what I am going to use these jars for yet, (ha!) but I know I will think of something! I have seen a lot of DIY hand scrubs, and other homemade gift ideas that I think I might use these for. The large one might be a bit too big, but the medium size jars would be perfect! I have seen ideas online that range from cotton balls, q-tips, coffee, tea, etc.  They are actually very nice jars and lids to have.  I think they would look cute in the bathroom, kitchen, or bedroom!  

Happy candle cleaning! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment