Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Some of my top Sunscreen picks!


Now with sunscreens I haven't tried TOO many, just because once I get to the ones I like, I stick with them!  Last year I used the Banana Boat Sport and I really liked this one when I was going to be outside all day and in the sun a lot.  It does have that thicker sunscreen feel to it, but because of the sport it doesn't get all slimy when you start to sweat, which in the summer that is definitely going to happen!! I noticed it wasn't near as greasy as a regular sunscreen and went on a little smoother.  I have read many articles about sunscreens, skin cancer, etc and found out that when they do the tests on sunscreens to determine how strong they are and how long they last, the application is lathered on very thick.  With this being said, I don't think most people want to goop it on as thick as the "testers" do, so I would say to always reapply about half the time the bottle says just to be safe.  That way you are not a slimy mess, but still are protected. Most say about 80 minutes, so I would say every 45 minutes or so when in constant sunlight.  With this being said, that is if you want 100% protection with no sun exposure/damage.  I am sure most "Sport" versions are close to the same, but this is just the one I used and really liked the pump bottle.





I have been on the hunt for a daily sunscreen to wear if I am just going to randomly be out and about, but not really sitting in the sun.  This was a bit more tricky because I did not want the suncreen "feel" at all.  Just something that went on lightly, but still protected.  I actually just bought this last week and so far, so good!  It's the Banana Boat Protect and Hydrate 2 in 1.  I normally get around SPF 50 in everything because I have read that anything over that really is about the same strength. I got this one as a Buy 1 get 1 Free which works out perfect for me.  I wanted one to keep at work so I could put a new coat on my arms before leaving work since I have about a 45min-hour commute home.  I know most people aren't going to be as "extreme" as I am with the sunscreen, but sadly if you do the research it says that everyone should be this cautious because even those work commutes in the car can cause some pretty bad damage without you even realizing it.  No matter what your level of caution is though, it's always good to hear about some different products out there!  The smell in this one isn't too strong either.   I like to put a little layer of regular smelly lotion over it just to cover up that sunscreen smell some if I am just using it for my daily wear.





When it comes to the beach, I will either use sport, or just the regular ole sunscreen that I find on sale.  You are going to be a sweaty mess out there anyways, so I don't think there will be a noticable difference when it comes to that.  I would say that "name brand" versus the "store brand" is going to be the same safety wise.  They are not going to make something that works any less that it says, no matter what the brand.  The only difference you will find is the quality of how it settles in your skin.  I must say I am not a fan of the mists for many reasons.  It runs out VERY fast, and the few I have tried have been SLIMY! Not a fan.  I only tried maybe 3 though, so there most definitely could be a good one out there somewhere.

Now for my face, I do go the more expensive route and get ones that are just for the face.  I have CRAZY sensitive skin, especially on my face.  If I put regular sunscreen on it, within a few seconds it burns like fire and my face is blood red, not cute!! I recently picked up a Neutrogena sensitive skin, oil free sunscreen for the face, that also came with an SPF lip balm (also a very important must have). This was about $10 for a small bottle.  I haven't used this one, but am hoping it will be a good match for my skin.  I will let you know after my FL trip that begins in 11 dayyyys! Woohoo! :)  Depending on how it goes on, I might start using it in my daily routine.  I have very oily skin, so it is hard for me to use any moisturizers on my face.  Currently I use Philosophy's Hope in a Jar SPF 30, and then try to get foundations that have an SPF as well.  The SPF in foundation is not very strong though, so you can't rely soley on that. 


So as much as I love my Philosophy products, these items are not cheap.  This little 2oz tube is around $40.  BUT, you only have to use a tiny amount so it does last a very long time.  Like I said before, I have crazy sensitive skin, so once I find a product I like, I will stick with it.  I am tempted to look for a cheaper product but I have wasted so much money searching, I don't look forward to that.  If anyone else has oily, sensitive skin and has a good facial daily sunscreen, please let me know!!  I do only use this in my daily routine and not when out in the sun at the beach, pool, etc where I have to constantly reapply since it is so expensive.


Those are the main products I have found to love so far in my search.  Most importantly always remember to add a BIG, cute floppy hat when outdoors.  Not only are these a nice accessory, they protect your scalp which gets forgotten in sun protection.  They are also a great guard for your face as well.  




If anyone would like to share any of their favorite sunscreens or tips, please feel free.  I am ALWAYS on the hunt for the next best thing that I haven't heard of. Especially if it's a cheaper version! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment